Wednesday, January 27, 2010

When Mother Nature Gets Delusional


I was having this great dream just before I woke up this morning.  It involved wandering casually through a sunlit meadow, bordered by a few maples.  It's an image reminiscent of my early years in the Berkshires, possibly flavored with the peace I find on my property here in the Midwest. There were false sunflowers, and liatris, and some wonderfully overgrown lavender.  Warm sun, bright colors, gentle breeze - I should have known it was a dream.

Instead, I woke to grey morning skies menaced by the naked black branches of dormant trees outside my bedroom window.  This is the end of an apathetic little excuse for a January thaw - just enough to exchange some of the snow in exchange for a cold, dismal rain.  We didn't actually see much sun, and the melted snow has now formed dangerous little patches of ice in unexpected places.  And it's supposed to get colder and colder for the rest of the week.

The thing about living in the Midwest is that you have to expect the weather to screw with your head.  It's January, and Spring will not be here for at least another 3 months.  Dreams are just a way of expressing your desire for what you know in your waking hours to be unreasonable.  But then answer me this:



Do daylillies dream? Because otherwise, this one is crazy.

No comments:

Post a Comment